To test out your development works, You can install WordPress locally on your computer. It saves your time, as well as your internet bandwidth, If you are on a metered connection. Notably, installing it on your localhost helps you to perform a quick testing in faster way. Whenever you are testing third-party themes and plugins, Intentionally it may break your site anytime !
To avoid site downtime and errors, You may have a choice to install WordPress on computer to test out everything. If signal is green, then you can upload it on a live server. This method of offline WordPress testing lets you get rid of any unwanted errors and problems.
In this article, We are going to teach you the simplest way to install WordPress on windows computer using EasyPHP (Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP – abbreviated as WAMP ) localhost software.
Getting Started – How To Setup EasyPHP for WordPress
EasyPHP is the most recommended developer environment for developers. You can use it to develop WAMP based applications locally on your computer. No more lengthy settings of PhpMyadmin or MySQL through command line.
All you need to follow the simple 2 minutes installation process, and it will drive you directly to the development step. Instead of using WAMP server, I personally suggests you to go through EasyPHP. In this guide, We are going to use it to install WordPress.
Download EasyPHP from its official website. Remember that, you have to download EasyPHP devserver environment to make it work properly on your windows computer.
In this guide, we are going to use the latest version 14.1 VC11.
– Once you download the EasyPHP setup file. Click on it to run the installation process and refer our walk-through guide.
– The first window will ask you to setup EasyPHP in your language. Select your language and Press “OK”.
– Now it will bring you a first screen of EasyPHP setup process. Click “Next”.
– The next step requires you to accept license agreement.
– Next window indicates the warning for an existing EasyPHP users, who are upgrading their software. We will hit the “NEXT” button.
– The EasyPHP software installation requires at-least 250MB free space on the drive, where you are installing your files. If you wanted to make it portable, then select another drive or a USB drives. The software will be successfully installed over there.
– You can rename the folder name of WAMP server in start menu. We suggest you to go for a simple name, If you’re installing it for an education purpose. It will be easy to find for your students. By default, The start menu folder name is “EasyPHP-DevServer-14.1VC11”. You can change it.
– Now you are ready to install your EasyPHP software. Please check the details before hitting on the last “Install” button.
– The installation process may take up to 2-5 minutes.
– It will prompt you a EasyPHP installation completion window, once the setup configures itself on your windows pc. We suggest you to uncheck the “Open Help” option and finish up the process.
Starting EasyPHP DevServer – WAMP Environment
– When you click “FINISH” button and launch EasyPHP. Alternatively, you can start the program from Start Menu. (For Windows 8 Users: Select EasyPHP from tiles.) It will start building up packages for the first run. It will take 5-10 seconds to load the program.
– The EasyPHP icon will be visible on your taskbar.
– Right click on the icon and select “Local Web” to startup your WAMP environment. It will open 127.0.0.1 (your WAMP localhost) in the default web browser.
[learn_more caption=”Extra Hint” state=”open”] Hint: If it fails to load that address, Restart EasyPHP. Now manually type 127.0.0.1 or localhost in address bar of your internet browser.[/learn_more]
– After launching the EasyPHP localhost (aka localweb), you will see three folders in it. My portable files, Projects and Scripts. Remember that, it’s automatically created for an introduction purpose. You can delete it or rename it.
– It’s time to access your folders in your PC. By default, It is being stored in your C Drive. We can navigate to the localhost folder with one click using EasyPHP taskbar icon.
– It will open the localhost folder, where you can save your files and WordPress installation files too. Over there you will find three default folders My Portable files, My Projects and Scripts.
– Let’s rewind it, What we’ve done in the previous steps.
- We have installed EasyPHP DevServer 14.1 VC11 (Same as WAMP Server).
- Learned to open localhost in web browser.
- View/Modify localhost files.
On the next section, we are going to learn, that how you can Install WordPress on Windows using EasyPHP software.
How To Install WordPress On Windows Using EasyPHP DevServer
– Download the latest WordPress 4.1 zip package from wordpress.org website. (Size is 6.40MB)
– Extract it to your EasyPHP localhost directory. ( Default directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyPHP-DevServer-14.1VC11\data\localweb )
– Here we extracted all files in the folder named as “WordPress”.
– Now open your web browser and type URL http://127.0.0.1/wordpress/ in address bar or you can try alternative address that is http://localhost/wordpress/ . In this walk through, we will be referring to the 127.0.0.1.
– On the next step, you will be redirected to installation process. The first screen prompts you to select preferred language for your WordPress blog. Default value is “English (United states)”.
– The next step is to configure database for WordPress using phpMyAdmin of your localhost. Click on “Lets Go” button.
[learn_more caption=”Default WordPress Configuration Details” state=”open”] Database Name: wpmayurlocal (You can use your own name)
Password: leave it empty
Database Host: localhost
Table Prefix: wp_[/learn_more]
In this page, you need to enter your server credentials as well as WordPress database details enlisted above.
– Don’t click on “Submit” button. Before moving ahead we will create Database called “wpmayurlocal” using phpMyAdmin.
– Go to the taskbar, Right click on EasyPHP icon. Click on “Administration” option.
– You will see an administration panel phpMyAdmin. From this one page, you can manage your all MySQL databases. You can test out your PHP code snippets too.
– In that page, Click on “Open” button.
– As of this guide, We need to create a new MySQL database called “wpmayurlocal”. So, we will click on the “New” link on the left sidebar of phpMyAdmin.
– Enter MySQL database name in the box on next window. I will enter “wpmayurlocal”. You can enter your choice of name and then click on “Create” button.
– It will create MySQL database successfully. Now let’s get back to the WordPress database configuration window. Click on “Submit” button. It will confirm your WordPress MySQL database configurations.
The next page you will get similar to this one. Now Click “Run the install”.
– Now you are about to complete the installation of WordPress on windows computer using WAMP.
– This second last step requires you to enter credentials for WordPress administrator access.
[learn_more caption=”WordPress Administrator Credentials That We’ve Used Here” state=”open”]
NOTE: This is for an education purpose. You can add your own details.
Site Title: WP Local Host
Password: Enter your password
Confirm Password: Repeat the same password
Your Email: Enter your email address
Privacy: Leave it default.
For more details, click on the image below [/learn_more]
– Hitting the install WordPress button will cook your WordPress in back-end. It may take few minutes based on your system configurations.
– The install process will redirect you to the next page with login button.
– WordPress Administrator panel is usually called as wp-admin too. Identically, the default link to log into admin panel is http://127.0.0.1/wordpress/wp-admin/ .
– It will present you a WordPress login window where you’ve to put username and password to gain access to admin panel.
– Once you login to the WordPress admin panel, it will convey you through a WordPress dashboard tour.
– Here is the screenshot of WordPress Dashboard.
– To access your WordPress front-end website. Open your Root directory in web browser.
– In this case, our root link is http://127.0.0.1/wordpress/
….and here is the final WordPress front-end screen with default activated theme.
Installing WordPress Locally helps you to speed up your work. Either you’re WordPress developer or a blogger. Both of you can extend your productivity by installing WordPress locally. This is the plus point for the users who runs metered connections and have limited bandwidth usage.
There are several ways to install WordPress on windows computer. You can use many EasyPHP alternatives in the market. Few of them requires a geek level settings for phpMyAdmin and MySQL. If you’re good in it, then you can follow that applications.
Yes, you can transfer your WordPress from local server to live site easily. We will discuss about it in the next guide. If you liked our guide, Don’t hesitate to share it.
NOTE: You can follow this guide, even if you are using Windows XP, Windows 7-8 and Windows 10 as well.